Faculty Profile : Dr. Santosh Kumar Guru
Name: Dr. Santosh Kumar Guru
+91 40 23074750 Extn- 2049
Google Scholar Citations
ADDRESS, ROOM NO
Department of Biological Sciences
Room No: 64
Department of Pharmaceuticals (Govt. of India)
Balanagar, Hyderabad - 500037, TS, INDIA
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Sciences at NIPER Hyderabad - February 2021 - Present
- Senior Scientific Officer, CNCI-Kolkata, India, 2018-2021
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Umass Medical School, USA, 2016-2018.
- Research Associate, IIIM-CSIR, Jammu, India, 2014-2016.
- Senior Research Fellow, IIIM-CSIR-Jammu, India, 2011-2014
- Junior Research Fellow, IIIM-CSIR-Jammu, India, 2009-2011
- Laboratory Technician, RCPHS, Berhampur, Odisha, Jan. 2004-Jul. 2004
QUALIFICATION: (REVERSE CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER)
- Ph.D: Life Science/Pharmaceutical Sciences-Pharmacology, GNDU/IIIM-CSIR
- M.Pharm. (Pharmacology), RGPV, Bhopal
- B. Pharm. (Pharmaceutical Sciences), BPUT, Odisha
- D. Pharm. (Pharmaceutical Sciences), OSBP, Odisha
Drug Metabolism - PC 610
Molecular Toxicology- RT 630
CNC & Respiratory Pharmacology-PC 860
Epigenetics and Disease
PHD STUDENTS/MASTERS STUDENTS
Essha Chatterjee, UGC-JRF
Biswajit Dey, UGC-JRF
Hoshiyar Singh, NIPER-JEE
AWARDS / HONOURS
- Postdoctoral Fellowship-NIH, at MCCB, Umass Medical School, MA, USA-01605
- CSIR-JRF-2009 for Ph.D. Fellowship at IIIM, CSIR, Jammu, India-180001
- Best paper award (2013) given by Indian Institute of Integrative medicine for the paper for “Tiron and Trolox potentiate the autophagic cell death induced by magnolol analog Ery5 by activation of Bax in HL-60 cells. Apoptosis 2013. 18:605-17.”
- Best paper award (2014) given by Indian Institute of Integrative medicine for the paper for “Autophagy triggered by magnolol derivative negatively regulates angiogenesis.” Cell Death and Disease. 2013; 4:889.
- Best paper award (2015) given by Indian Institute of Integrative medicine for the paper for “Pyrano-isochromanones as IL-6 inhibitors: Synthesis, in vitro and in vivo Ant arthritic Activity. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 2014. 57,7085-7097.”
- Best paper award (2016) given by Indian Institute of Integrative medicine for the paper for “Secalonic Acid-D Represses HIF1a/VEGF Mediated Angiogenesis by Regulating the Akt/mTOR/p70S6K Signaling Cascade.” Cancer Research. 2015; 75:2886-2896. ISSN: 1538-7445(Online), ISSN: 0008-5472(Print).
- Qualified GATE 2007 and GATE 2009 | and 6th Rank in Orissa JEE-2007
My research group mainly focus on basic and applied drug discovery in cancer biology. My group mainly focus on role of drug tolerant persister cell and chemotherapy induced tumor dormancy in cancer. We are exploring the survival mechanism of these dormant tumors through Autophagy, epigenetic, RNA methylation, efferocytosis, ferroptosis, EMT and YAP/TAZ mechanism.
More details about current ongoing research
1. Name of the Principal Investigator (PI): Dr. Santosh Kumar Guru
2. Name of the funding agency: SERB
3. Title of the Project: Analysis of the role of extracellular vesicles (Exosomes) in drug tolerant persister cells and its contribution to cancer initiating cells in breast cancer
4. Sanction Order No.: SRG/2020/002013
5. Sanctioned Date: 17th March 2021
6. Amount Received (in INR): 2189000/-
FELLOWSHIPS / GRANTS
- Postdoctoral Fellowship-Umass Medical School, USA
- JRF- 2009, CSIR-IIIM, Jammu, India
- GATE-2007, IIT-Kanpur: For master's degree Fellowship
- Analysis the role of extracellular vesicles (Exosomes) in drug tolerant persister cells and its contribution to cancer-initiating cells in breast cancer. SERB-SRG-2021 as Principal Investigator.
- Development of a novel mercury based organo-metallic complex for acute leukemia treatment, ICMR-Adhoc-2020 as Co- Principal Investigator.
PUBLICATIONS / BOOK CHAPTERS
View / Download
- Vishwakarma RA, Bharate SB, Bhushan S, Yadav RR, Guru SK, Joshi P. 6-Aryl-4-phenyl amino quinazolines as phosphoinositide 3 kinase inhibitors and their preparation, pharmaceutical compositions and use in the treatment of cancer. WO2015128873A1, 0554DEL2014. Granted in US, EP - US10202374B2 (Feb. 2019). EP3110801B1 (January 2019).
- Vishwakarma RA, Bharate SB, Kumar A, Singh B, Kumar A, Bhushan S, Hamid A, Joshi P, Guru SK, Kumar S, Hussain A, Qazi AK, Bharate SS, Sharma P, Saxena AK, Mondhe DM, Mahajan G, Wani Z. 10-Substituted colchicinoids as potent anticancer agents. WO2016059650A1, 2929DEL2014, Granted in US, EP- US9868695 (January 2018), EP3207026 (Nov 2018).
- Bharate SB, Bhushan S, Mohammed S, Guru SK, Bharate SS, Kumar V, Mahajan G, Javed MM, Mondhe DM, Vishwakarma RA. Fused pyrimidines as isoform-selective phosphoinositide-3-kinase-alpha inhibitors and process for preparation thereof. WO2017090058A1, 3818DEL2015. Granted in US, EP- US20200031845A1. EP3380476A1.
- Vishwakarma RA, Bharate SB, Bhushan S, Mondhe DM, Jain SK, Meena S, Guru SK, Pathania AS, Kumar S, Behl A, Mintoo MJ, Bharate SS, Joshi P. Cyclin-dependent kinase inhibition by 5,7-dihydroxy-8-(3-hydroxy-1-methylpiperidin-4-yl)-2-methyl-4H-chromen-4-one analogs. Granted in US, EP - US9932327B2 (April 2018). EP2986605 (Nov 2017) WO2014170914A1, IN2013DE01142. [On Clinical trial for pancreatic cancer, 2020]
LABORATORY FACILITIES DEVELOPED