Dr. Ahmed Kamal was born in 1956 in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India. Dr. Kamal has obtained his Masters degree in1977 from Aligarh Muslim
University and doctorate in 1982 from Aligarh Muslim University, India. He worked as a Post Doctoral Fellow at the University of Portsmouth in U.K.
Since 1983 he has been working as a Scientist at the CSIR - Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (CSIR-IICT), Hyderabad, which is one of the leading chemical laboratories of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India. From 1993 to 1994, he was a visiting scientist at the University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada. At IICT, he has been involved in the pharmaceutical and medicinal chemistry for different drug discovery programmes with excellent research outputs. These research programmes include both national and international projects.
Dr Kamal is the principal architect for some of the international collaborative linkages at the Institute and he is a recognized guide in
many Universities in the country and over 50 research scholars have obtained their doctoral degrees under his successful guidance.
He is responsible for establishing the Biotransformation Laboratory at IICT and has contributed for the quality human resource development. He is also instrumental in the setting up of a Pre-Biotechnology Process Generator at IICT. Presently, apart from working as the Project Director of NIPER, Hyderabad, he is coordinating the setting up of a Chemical Biology facility at IICT.
- 2009 OPPI Scientist award
- 2007 Andhra Pradesh Scientist Award in Chemical Sciences by A P State Council of Science & Technology
- 2006 UKIERI Standard Award for Biomedical Solutions between India and UK
- 2005 Ranbaxy Research Award in the field of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- 2005 Medal from the Chemical Research Society of India (CRSI) for contributions to research in Chemistry
- 2005 Best Patent Award from the Indian Drug Manufacturers Association (IDMA)
- 1991 CSIR Young Scientist Award in Chemical Sciences
PUBLICATIONS & PATENTS
- 2012 Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, UK (FRSC)
- 2010 Fellow of the Andhra Pradesh Academy of Sciences (FAPSc)
2005 DAAD Fellowship under the Indo-German Academic Exchange Programme
- 2002 JSPS Research Fellowship for Foreign Researchers (Japan)
- 1999 Fellow of National Academy of Sciences, India (FNASc)
- Editorial Advisory Board Member for the Journal "Letters in Drug Design & Discovery"
PRESENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Published over 285 research papers in national and International Journals
- Filed over 70 patents (Five (5) US patents have been licensed and some compounds from these patents
are undergoing preclinical studies)
Multi-disciplinary research programmes including organic synthesis, medicinal, combinatorial and green chemistry, and chemical biology.
- Design and synthesis of gene-targeting compounds as new and novel anticancer agents
- New chemical entities for antitubercular and antimalarial activity
- Development of new efficient synthetic methodologies
For more details click here